Thursday, May 7, 2009

Almost done!

All of the flowers are in and all of the mulch has been put down! Well, we haven't cleared out the part on the far right side, below the window (office/nursery window) - we need to clear it all out and put down mulch and we're going to put a small hydrangea bush (mini penny) under the window. I'm still trying to decide on an edging for the beds - I'm thinking I might just go with timber (cheaper and easier to find than stone). I think it'll look a lot different once the plants fill out - they have a lot of growing to do...hopefully I don't kill them before they mature (at least they have a one year guarantee!). Sorry for the MANY pictures...

We plan on taking these 2 random shutters off when we take them all down to paint - I didn't notice at first that there was one with each window (there's not room for a second one because of the chimney there)... I think it'd look better without them and just have shutters on the smaller windows (office/nursery and the one in the garage - far left).
We plan on making a new walkway to the mailbox (and hopefully one branching from that new walkway and going around the side of the house to the driveway, so guests don't have to walk through the grass). I also want to get 2 big, colorful pots filled with flowers/greenery and put one on either side of the concrete "porch" (at the very front).


As you can tell, it'll make a big difference to get the edging put in!

I'm still debating, but I think I might put 2 or 3 more flowers in on the side of the house - I found some I like that grow well in the shade (someone planted that crepe myrtle way too close to the house, but I hate to take it out).
sage 'indigo spires' salvia - attracts butterflies/hummingbirds!
gerbera daisies - will be nice in bouquets!
heliotrope - attracts birds, butterflies and hummingbirds
artist purple ageratum - attracts birds, butterflies and hummingbirds
these haven't been doing as well since it rained hard the other day - hopefully they'll perk up again soon once the sun comes out in full force.
can't remember the name of this one...didn't have a tag when I brought it home

happy single wink dahlia - I bought 2 of these...love them!'flambe orange' chrysocephalum apiculatum - these remind me of little tiny 'billy buttons', which I LOVE
penta (star flower) - also attracts butterflies
'sunsatia mango' nemesia - bought 4 of these and might buy more to fill in the back... I love that they look like wildflowers

my poor 'dark angel' dahlia (purple).... I don't think it liked the rain. It used to have a beautiful flower, but it's closed up. I'll be watching for a comeback and will take a picture!'mexican butterfly weed' asclepias curassavica - put 2 of these in front of the living room for the same reason as the lantana!
from top to bottom: zinnia (?), star white zinnia, star gold zinnia, profusion apricot zinnia
some kind of zinnia I think - forget the specific name of it
lantana (sonset) - bought 4 of these so we can watch lots of butterflies and hummingbirds from the living room windows!

No comments: