I just finished the last of mine that I made Tuesday night with chelo kabob... my first attempt at persian cuisine and I'm happy to say that Sam liked it! My kabob definitely didn't look as good as his mom's (I didn't flatten mine enough - they looked more like burgers), but the taste was very similar. Sam also thought there was no way I could make the mast-o khiar with store-bought plain yogurt, but I didn't have time to attempt to make the yogurt, like his mom does. He was very surprised - we both loved it. I think the trick was adding a lot of the mint and salt and pepper to give it lots of flavor! Here's the "recipe" that I used (an adaptation of the instructions his mom gave me):
16 oz. of plain yogurt
1 lg. cucumber, peeled and cubed.
approx. 2-3 tbs. dried mint
salt to taste (I didn't measure mine, but prob. a tsp or 2)
pepper to taste (maybe 1/4-1/2 tsp)
chopped walnuts (optional)
Just mix it all together and refrigerate!
Very easy and sooo good! I CRAVED this stuff when I was pregnant. I'm glad to know I can easily make it myself now... If anyone tries this let me know how it turns out.





2 comments:
Uh Oh might not have been good idea to reveal that you've been cooking this yummy food...we might be knocking on your door!!!! When I was pregnant w/Gabe we ate at Sahara twice a week.
well I included this in my menu for next week! I can't wait to try it! i have a feeling i've had it before...but I can't remember where. anyways, I'm excited, thanks for sharing the recipe!
Post a Comment