Sunday, June 14, 2009

Vacation!


I'm looking forward to leaving soon for a vacation! Unfortunately, Sam can't take off work so he won't be coming along... I'll be going with my parents (and Adriana, of course) on a roadtrip to visit lots of family (Raleigh, NC and Pennsylvania) - some that I haven't seen in years and haven't met Adriana yet....and on the way home we'll be stopping in Charleston, SC for 3 days!

I'm going to try to enjoy the break - when we get back it will be time to call more doctors and set up appointments.... I'll be calling a local plastic surgeon I've used in the past for recommendations on surgeons for Soraya and waiting to hear back from my Maternal-Fetal doctor to see what recommendations he was able to find. We'll be setting up our "team" for when she arrives - I'm not sure yet who all we'll need on the team, but they typically include: geneticist, plastic surgeon, ENT (hopefully we can use the one I've had for a past surgery), audiologist, nurse coordinator, oral surgeon, orthodontist, dentist, speech pathologist and social worker. Just writing that makes me anxious - it's very overwhelming.

I have an OB appt (normal one!) July 6th, a few days after I get home - I'm going to call this week to see if I can schedule a 4-D ultrasound for that day or another day that week (it will be my 26/27th week, which is when they can do it)...I didn't have one with Adriana and I regret it! I've already seen 4-D images of Soraya from my appts with the Maternal-Fetal doctor, but I want to have it on video.

I meet with the Maternal-Fetal doctor again on the 16th of July for another ultrasound - he should be able to tell at that point how severe the palate is (he doesn't think it goes all the way back to the throat - pray that she's in a good position that day so we'll know for sure!). If you google about cleft lips/palate you can find some pretty scary images....thankfully, Soraya's is a unilateral incomplete cleft lip (meaning, it doesn't go all the way up to the nose - great news), which is what mine was.

I'll update when I get back - hopefully with some pictures from our trip!

3 comments:

L. said...

So--yay for vacations!

I'm curious--how can they see inside her mouth when she is inside your belly?

Unknown said...

let me just say the 4-D ultrasounds are amazing! I can't make out everything that the doctor's seeing, but he's able to see all kinds of things - he's been able to see inside her mouth some, but hopefully since she'll be a little bigger next time he'll be able to see more details.

L. said...

Cool. Alaina had one with Brice and it was pretty cool to see it. The picture actually looked like Brice! It was crazy--you could see features that were Alaina/Lee. But I just didn't understand about seeing inside her mouth.